Monday, November 22, 2010

Gratitude for my girls

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time putting together these collages to showcase all my gals, only to realize how stinking small the photos are once you post them.  They don't do them justice, of course, but looking at them still makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  In the spirit of giving thanks, I decided I definitely needed to put on paper how grateful I am for the best posse of ladies that a woman could ever ask for.  My friends definitely are my family and I don't know how I would have made it to 34 without them.  They've seen me through good times and bad.  Life is just a dull-ish shade of gray without your friends.
 


Photobucket

Amy K. saw me through middle school and high school, and ever since basically.  Sure, we've had our disagreements here and there.  But at heart, no matter what we've been through when we get to gigglin', it's like we're thirteen all over again.  She's quick to smile and has a generous spirit.  And she can flirt better than anyone I've ever met!

Kelley and I met in fifth grade!  We were instant friends.  I think this was really because I got right away that she had a true appreciation for all things ridiculous and goofy, just like I did.  We would stay up all night drinking multiple Dr. Peppers and playing Spades.  We would traipse around Wal-Mart and pose for ridiculous photos.  We had a huge grape fight one night, and tossed plastic grapes at each other while running around the house like mad.  Ten years later and I would still come across one of those suckers hidden underneath furniture or behind some house decor item.  She is one of the kindest people I know and an amazing listener.  Her enthusiasm and spontaneity are also contagious.    

Photobucket

I met Emily in 2002.  This fiery, red head has been by my side on some of the most ridiculous adventures to date.  She is as charming as they come and can accessorize like nobody's business.  She's pretty good about letting me boss her around a bit and fill up her social calendar for her.  Don't worry.  She likes it.  Emily tends to encourage my ridiculousness and when we get to laughing, tears usually follow.

I met Bonny around the same time.  Emily, Bonny, and I used to be roommates.  Bonny is a mother of one beautiful little girl and one on the way.  She is a domestic DIVA.  Seriously...her house is adorable.  We shared some really amazing times, traveling through Ireland and Scotland together in '06.  I'll never forget what an ordeal we had one day trying to find the hostel in Edinburgh, walking all over the damn city with our heavy bags.   After all was said and done we just sat on the curb drinking wine out of the bottle and laughing off the whole thing.  Once you sleep in a car with someone for multiple nights, it definitely makes or breaks your friendship.  Fortunately for us, it is a memory we can look upon fondly.

Photobucket

Ann Marie (aka Annamosity)...  We met when I came back to Austin and got back into roller derby.  We hit it off like, say, three and a half minutes after we met?  Yeah, fast friends.  We were pretty much inseparable for about a year after thatThose were the old days of derby, when we were just about the only league on the block, so to speak.  So things were a little wild.  She was a fuuuun person to share all of those memories with.  Ann is one of the most loyal and generous people I know, and also one of the most sarcastic.  Oh, and did I mention tough?  Tough as nails.  She works in a five-star kitchen with a bunch of dudes.  You have to be tough to do that!

Kim is another awesome partner in crime.  We met when I tended bar at a ski lodge in Mammoth Lakes.  I'd say we hit it off instantly as well.  Since I keep saying that, it is now becoming clear that most of the time, falling in friend love is pretty instant.  Huh...who knew?  Anyway, Kim is a super duper big smart ass, which I totally love.  She also really enjoys a well-crafted microbrew.  Check.  She loves snowboarding.  Check.  She's pretty much the total package.  She's about to be a certified pilot.  Her sister is building an eco-friendly hostel in Costa Rica.  Yeah, total package.  We have had some fuuuuun time together and if I didn't meet her in Mammoth, I might've gone running back to Austin.  She totally made the experience for me and I love sharing those knowing "isn't this so amazing?!" looks with her.

I pretty much hit the jackpot with my sister-in-law.  I have always wanted a sister, as I only have a brother.  Then my brother got married in '07 and now I do!  Over the last few years, she and my brother have lived in some pretty cool locations.  So I have spent the bulk of my vacation time traveling to see them in Hood River, South Padre, and Maui.  Maria has a smile that definitely lights up a room.  She is very easy going and an amazing listener!  We could just talk and talk and talk.  She is a very thoughtful, conscientious, and kind person.  I love going on adventures with she and my brother and would pretty much follow them anywhere. 

I could write about so many more!!  I think I will have to do a separate post or something because I'm all typed out!  I still want to write about some other gals that are near and dear to my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment!