Wednesday, October 15, 2008


Another big exciting day in the life of a stormtrooper!  Woo-hoo!  Man, the term stormtrooper makes it sound just a tad more exciting than it is, I must say.  Our number of claims is down to 51, so that is actually kind of exciting.  It's progress anyway.  We are going to cram in, tentatively speaking anyway, a horde of inspections these next three days, in the hopes of driving to Austin Friday afternoon and then getting to stay there and just work on the computer.  Because we will be done with inspections, until our next batch anyway.

I exchanged a few emails today with one of my insureds.  I made some miscalculations (hey at least I admit when I'm wrong!) on his estimate, and I was assuring him that we could certainly fix it and that I would work with him.  I mean, I was as positive as I could be.  And where did he take it?  He sent an email telling me he had a heart attack last week, because of all the stress!  Man...he had to go there.  I mean...where do you go from there??  No pressure, miss adjuster lady, but if you don't cover my 8' cedar fences, I might just keel over right now.  Geeez.  I feel bad for the guy.  Don't get me wrong.  But hell, I feel bad for all of 'em!  I could match up his sob story with ten more.  This really isn't my point though.  Just because there are ten sob stories, doesn't lessen or invalidate them all.  It's just that, to a certain point, you do have to detach yourself somewhat in order to plunge forward and achieve the job at hand.  I can't play into everyone's pleads and demands.  Sure, I take their position into consideration.  Because we are not robots, numbers, etc.  We are all human beings with our varied stories, dispositions and experiences.  But heart attack or not, he's only covered for 10% anyway.  Doh!!  Okay, I'm trying to be light here people.  The man pulled the heart attack card to get his fences paid for, where do I go from there? 

In other big news, I got my new glasses today!!!  :) :)  I can see again!  And...of coooourse...I picked them up the SAME day my old pair arrived from Maui.  Too funny.

I was listening to talk radio on the way to pick them up.  Yeah, Houston talk radio.  Hey, Dad says to always try and hear both sides.  I try, although undoubtedly not wholeheartedly.  Can you say that like that?  Anyway, here's what I find a little annoying that is nice and bipartisan:  I hate the MEDIA complaining about the MEDIA.  Now, I realize my complaint juuust might have a few holes.  After all, government leaders complain about how government is run all of the time.  Teachers complain about the state of education.  But an ultra conservative talk radio host talking about how journalism is dead?!  That was just a little, off, to me.  

I know we're probably all sick to death about politics lately.  And I hope I don't annoy my more conservative brethren too much, or that I come across as too pushy with my stance or anything.  But it's hard to stay away from it when it's the big elephant in the U.S. living room right now.  I'm feeling rather nervous about the whole thing, this election coming up, the economy, the rhetoric being flung around, on ALL sides.  I was watching this Nixon documentary on PBS last night.  It was very interesting, and they interviewed a lot of his top aides.  I think what is making me nervous is how similar some of what was going on then, is going on now.  I know, that is a large statement.  And if you really broke it down historically, I'm sure I would be all wrong and there are maaaany factors I'm not taking into account.  But the "cultural wars" that are going on now, the polarization, the war in Iraq, the economy, the mistrust in government...I don't know, you could definitely draw some similarities.  And it's a little unsettling.  Because the more divided we become, the more the "us vs. them" mentality sets in.  The easier it becomes to define ourselves not by our similarities, but by our differences, and ultimately, draw those divisive lines in the sand.  Do I think we need a dialogue about these differences?  Sure.  That's not what I'm saying.  But right now, no one is really listening to the other.  I'm glad we are talking.  I just don't think many of us are listening.  I'm working on it.  But yes, it can be hard.  Once you hear something that goes against the fabric of what you believe, you kind of stop actively listening and instead, start waiting for your turn to counterpoint, or argue.  I do this.  I know it.  I'm just trying to work on it.  And listen more.  I will say this.  It is MUCH easier to listen to someone that A) is somewhat intelligent and has an ounce of a clue about that of which they speak and B) comes from a good place (meaning not one of malice).  That, I can listen to.  It is when contempt, anger, hatred, judgment comes in that my ears start to close up.  Now please don't misunderstand me.  I am not saying that I am perfect and I have not committed such acts myself.  Please...of course I have.  We all have our moments of...error.  

Bottom line...at what point do we put down our arms, start to have a more genuine dialogue about what the hell is going on, and try to identify with groups of people that are different from us, so that we may start to understand each other more and work for ALL of the common interest?  Even if it feels uncomfortable, or with people/issues we don't understand, or there is some contempt there.  When do we stop the bickering?  Does this make me sound really naive?  Well, I suppose that's fine.  I'll take naive any day over crusty and cynical.  Who wants to hang out with those people anyway?!  Oh...there I go again!  Another moment of error...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment!