Monday, April 01, 2013

Easter Weekend Festivities




© Heather Hoskinson

We started our Easter festivities on Good Friday. Last year little Griff was only six weeks old at Easter, so naturally I was ready to get him in on the Easter egg hunt action this year. Half Price Books had a scavenger Easter egg hunt, so Grandma and I hopped in the wagon and headed over to check it out. It started at 1:00 and I believe we arrived about then minutes after. Doh! They were already out of eggs. I guess the Easter bunny was not prepared to hand out eggs to half the little tykes in Dallas. Not to worry, they replenished their supply pretty quickly and while doing so, Moms and I took a break to grab some grub and browse the shelves. As is evident in the photo, Griffin was flirting shamelessly with this Easter bunny. Am I passing along my preferences for redheads or what? Or is it that he already knows you get more flies with honey?

© Heather Hoskinson

Then on Saturday we were off to the arboretum for Dallas Blooms. Yeah, us and about a million other people. But whatever. So worth it! My bestie and her son were in town and HAD to get the boys together for an Easter photo...involving pretty flowers and well, goats of course!

The weather was UH-mazing, between 70 and 75 degrees. You know how those Texas springs are, as short as an Alaskan fall me thinks. We ran into the Easter bunny as soon as we got there and were the last people to get a photo with him before he went on break. Many photo commenters seem to think he looks creepy, but I'd say this one looks pretty darn friendly compared to some I've seen. Tomato. Tom-otto.

The arboretum is such a great place to take the little ones because there is so much space to roam free. Even when it is ridiculously crowded, you will have no trouble finding ample lawn space to park your brood and just hang out. The family pass is the way to go if you go more than once or twice a year. It is only $119 and gets in SIX people. At $15 for adult admission, you can't beat that with a stick! Or even a chunky, drool-covered baby arm.


© Heather Hoskinson

On Sunday we allllmost made it to church on time. My Hubs was all, "What is it with church and being late? Why is it so impossible to make it to church on time?" Can't say I quite know, really, but I'm guessing it might have something to do with the fact that it's not a mandatory activity, and it's a weekend. Whatevs. We made it before the sermon started. Yay! And our pager didn't go off to signal a hysterical baby Griff in the nursery. Double yay!

I thought the message was fantastic. The minister talked about Unitarians are a really "seeing is believing" people, typically speaking. So Easter can be a tricky holiday to really buy into, resurrection being out of the realm of science and all. But the teachings of Christ and His word are unique to each of us and we derive our own meanings. He expanded on the different ways we can interpret the idea of resurrection and the idea that resurrection is redemption following death of innocence, death of ego, death of despair. "Resurrection for many of us is learning to trust the deeper places of your heart." 



© Heather Hoskinson

I spent the rest of the afternoon with my beautiful family. I am a lucky woman, even if I don't always act like it. Yes, life can be a struggle and some days are grim. I battle the blues more than I care to admit. But it is my hope that over time I can re-train my brain and focus on those enduring moments of hope, sunshine, laughter, unity, and connection and push away fear and doubt. That will be my resurrection. 

© Heather Hoskinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment!