Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So I posted that article so I could complain about it basically. I love to post things that make me rant I guess. It just is so disgusting to me that this beautiful woman, just turned 30, and it's like she's reminiscing already about being 18. ??!! Give me a break. Do we value age and wisdom so little that even turning 30 we are looking back? I wouldn't trade it any day so far. I mean, I have earned my almost 32. It's been fun and difficult all at once. I was almost a blank slate at 18, why would I envy that?

The other thing about the article that I found disconcerting is the screaming body issues! If you are Jennifer Love Hewitt at 30 and wishing you were Jennifer Love Hewitt at 18? That is just plain silly. But most of all, it's the CONSTANT message that we send to young girls that I have a serious problem with. You are NOTHING unless you look good is what we tell them. And the skinnier the better. I heard this girl walk out of the restaurant last night talking about how she needed to lose weight. And she was a rail!! If you listen, and not even all that closely, you will see that the young women of this country are obsessed with being skinny and looking good and it is destroying them by way of lost self-esteem at an advancing pace. When are we going to learn to embrace other things in life, in this American culture?

We need to help our young American females!!

Here is a link to an article that I googled just after I started blogging about this today, titled 'Women's Depression Rate is Higher."

The rate of depression among women is twice that of men, and the higher incidence is mainly related to being female in the contemporary world, an expert panel of the American Psychological Association said yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment!